Sexual Medicine and Male Sexual Health
What is sexual medicine? Sexual medicine is a medical specialty that deals with sexual health. It is a very broad specialty encompassing male and female sexual dysfunctions. The specialty is concerned with diagnosing, assessing and treating all aspects which relate to sexuality.
Issues in Sexual Medicine can be divided into two main areas of concern: disorders of the sexual organs and disorders of the psyche affecting sexuality.
Disorders affecting sexual organs may be either due to disorders of male sexual health and disorders of the female sexual health. Male sexual health disorders are generally dealt with by urologists while female sexual health disorders are dealt by gynecologists.
Urology, gynecology, primary care, endocrinology and cardiology are connected to sexual medicine to varying degrees.
Disorders of the psyche affecting sexuality are usually dealt with by psychiatrists and psychologists.
Male Sexual Health
What is male sexual dysfunction?
Male sexual dysfunction is any condition which impacts successful sexual intercourse in the male. This can include:
- Difficulties achieving or maintaining erections (erectile dysfunction)
- Ejaculation disorders (premature ejaculation, impaired ejaculation, retrograde ejaculation, anejaculation)
- Difficulties with orgasms
- Low libido (loss of desire)
- Hormonal disorders – Andropause or Late-onset hypogonadism (LOH)
- Male health disorders as a result of systemic disease (such as neurologic disorders, vascular disease, diabetes, hypertension)